So I got a Microsoft Band as a late Christmas present and I’ve been using it for a few days and I thought I’d share a few of my thoughts on the device.
First though, I’d like to point out that I’ve been looking for quite a few months for a device that would:
- Give me continuous heart rate monitoring
- Give me calorie counts as I’m working out
- Not be tied to a particular Operating System (yes Apple Watch I’m talking to you here🙂 )
- Sync to my phone or PC
- But can use it without having to have my phone with me (Samsung, I’m talking to you…:) )
- And do all of the above without needing to wear a chest strap
I’ve tried a few different watches/devices and have returned them all as they didn’t do any of the above things. Even when I returned the Samsung watch to Best Buy, they kind of admitted that the watch sucked🙂
So I picked up the my Microsoft Band a few days ago and here’s what I’ve found
- I have a Galaxy S4 phone and the Band synced up using Bluetooth easily. (In fact the Band won’t work without a smartphone sync).
- But the nicest part…….I can use the band when I run or workout and don’t have to have my phone next to me. This is something that is pretty important to me
- I get email, text and phone notifications. I can even pay for my Starbucks with my Band.🙂
- When using the Band as a workout device, it continually displays my heart rate, calories burned, and exercise duration.
- It is moderately uncomfortable (although I haven’t worn a watch in 20 years…..).
- The reports generated by the Band give a lot of interesting information.. for example:
First Boot Camp info
You’ll notice the spikes in heart rate and the timing durations. Now lets look at a sample run
And the part I found the most interesting….Tracking my tennis match
Singles Tennis Match which I won 6-3, 6-2
As you can see, I work really hard at tennis
Although I plan to further discuss this when I’ve had the Band a few weeks, my initial reaction to the Band is that I think I’m really going to like this product🙂